grub-devel

Re: ISA Option ROM booting capability

From: Bean
Subject: Re: ISA Option ROM booting capability
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:14:02 +0800

Hi,

On Nov 19, 2007 11:05 PM, UrJiZ <address@hidden> wrote:
> I thought that someone might like to test the ROM booting capability,
> so I made a tarball of my grub2/romboot directory (stripped all
> binaries). The file can be downloaded from
> http://88.193.31.35:8080/urjaman/romboot.tar.gz (or if that server is
> down then http://rapidshare.com/files/70800517/romboot.tar.gz.html ).
> A short howto follows.
>
> You will need:
> - grub2 sources and all grub2 compilation requirements
> - nasm
> - romboot.tar.gz
>
> For testing, the easiest way (for me atleast) is qemu. Bochs might work too.
>
> first configure and build grub2 normally
> then unpack the tarball to the grub2 folder, it will create a new
> folder called romboot.
> then:
> cd romboot
> <modify modules.lst if you like to>
> <take a look at romgrub.asm, grub-mkrom (it's a shell script),
> romchk.c if you like to>
> ./grub-mkrom
> then you will (if all went ok) have core.img and romboot.bin in that
> folder (for the first run it also compiles romchk)
>
> Testing:
> I've only tested using qemu and real hardware, so here it goes for qemu:
> qemu -option-rom romgrub.bin <some file for a hard disk, even
> /dev/null will work>
> Be ready to press scroll lock when qemu comes up. (I've missed it a
> few times...)
>
> The real hardware part is (i think) too long to explain here, and it's
> the same as with romos, so:
> http://rayer.ic.cz/romos/romose.htm
>

> --
> urjaman

I just test it, it does work, but here are some suggestion:

1, use gas syntax, it's not that much source, just convert it.
2, don't embed core.img, instead compile header seperately, and create
the rom image by catenating the header and core.img
3, Use romchk to zero-pad the rom to 64K, and fix the checksum. It can
be quite useful if it can also configure runtime variables like the
hotkey and timeout.

--
Bean