grub-devel

Re: ISA Option ROM booting capability

From: UrJiZ
Subject: Re: ISA Option ROM booting capability
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:10:29 +0200

Hi,

On Nov 20, 2007 9:14 AM, Bean <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,

> 1, use gas syntax, it's not that much source, just convert it.
> 2, don't embed core.img, instead compile header seperately, and create
> the rom image by catenating the header and core.img
> 3, Use romchk to zero-pad the rom to 64K, and fix the checksum. It can
> be quite useful if it can also configure runtime variables like the
> hotkey and timeout.

Here's some list on what i've done:
- converted the code to gas syntax... (I don't really get why, NASM is
so much better in bootloader-like things...)
- modified grub-mkrom to be able to compile it (dunno whether the
current cpp + as + ld is the correct way, but it works)
- added static offsets in image for the runtime variables...
- modified romchk to be able to modify 'em
- added grub-mkrom to be able to pass the variables to romchk (also
has --help now)
- added a tiny clean-binaries script ... it's just replacing "make
clean" for now.

And here's the new archive:
http://88.193.31.35:8080/urjaman/romboot2.tar.gz (or
http://rapidshare.com/files/72238464/romboot2.tar.gz.html ).