grub-devel

Re: multiboot2: make multiboot header optional

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: multiboot2: make multiboot header optional
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:56:17 +0100

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 05:18, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> I'm willing to go along with this, since I realized that only a tiny
> number of people will need to use this flags (and that number does not
> include me :). It seemed to work for GRUB Legacy, so I guess it can work
> here too.

Great. Finally we succeeded to agree (well, with some comprise?). :)

> My loader code doesn't currently read either tags or flags, and since
> most people don't need this functionality I plan to check it in without
> that; it can be added later as needed.

OK. So we can now proceed to the next question: whether it is a good idea to
omit a header when it is not absolutely required (i.e. ELF and no flags).
Honestly, I am quite neutral to this decision. I think it is a good
convention to always put a kind of "magic" (e.g. think of the command "file"
or libmagic), while the benefit of not writing anything special to Multiboot
is also attractive.

What do others think about this?

Okuji