grub-devel

Re: disk vs partition numbering

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: disk vs partition numbering
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:52:07 +0100

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 05:11, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> Since I'm used to Linux, which assigns disks letters rather than
> numbers, I was unaware that other OSs like BSD number disks from 0.
> Since that's the case, and neither 0 nor 1 will make sense to people
> expecting "a", I'm OK with 0.

Not always true. For example, look at /dev/fd* and /dev/ide/hd/*. Linux is
inconsistent, but does use 0-based counting for disks when using integers.

> Yes, I definitely agree with the decision to number partitions from 1.
> (Hopefully we can do the same with menu entries too. :) Making this
> change at a time when the config file syntax changes is the only good
> opportunity.

I didn't think of this. It is an excellent question. For now, I don't know
which is more natural, starting from 0 or 1 for menu entries. Marco, what is
your opinion about this? Since you wrote most of the code, I guess you have
some suggestion.

Okuji