grub-devel

Re: [RFC] multiboot2 loader

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: [RFC] multiboot2 loader
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:08:46 +0100

On Sunday 26 November 2006 11:18, Tomáš Ebenlendr wrote:
> And should the multiboot header file be "Grub's"?

If the header is written for GRUB, yes. If it has no relationship with GRUB,
no. That's very simple.

> What about having
> "Multiboot's" header as a part of "Multiboot project".

Multiboot Specification is not a part of GRUB in any sense. It is discussed in
this list, only because that is the most realistic at the moment, as all
Multiboot developers are GRUB developers, too, AFAIK.

It is perfectly reasonable to provide sample code with the Multiboot
Specification. However, there is no reason to use the same code in GRUB. The
code for GRUB is written for GRUB, and the header can be quite different from
such sample code. For instance, look at GNU Mach. It does not use any code
from GNU GRUB, even though both are GNU projects. This makes sense, because
the requirement for a project is different from that for another.

I repeat: GRUB is not a library. GRUB does not need to provide a generic
implementation which can be reused for other projects, and should not try to
do it.

Okuji