grub-devel

Re: release planning

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: release planning
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:01:10 -0400

On Jul 17, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

If there is no objection, I'd like to release the first version of GRUB 2 for
developers at the beginning of August, whatever status it is in. At the
moment, I'm devoting myself into bugfixes and incorporation of workarounds
from GRUB Legacy. I'm also going to implement a simple installer for
GNU/Linux within this month.

Great!

After that, I'd like to keep releasing new versions constantly. Hopefully, one per two or three months. The version numbers will be 1.9x, until we make GRUB
2 stable enough on PC.

For me, for PowerPC, the question has been first "can we replace current bootloaders?" and second "what features can we add to compel people to switch?" I think releasing GRUB2 without all the features of GRUB 0.9x would be a tough sell... but of course, I'm talking about end users here. Developers and early adopters may find it interesting enough even in its current state.

-Hollis