grub-devel

Re: release planning

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: release planning
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:23:38 +0200

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Okuji,

> If there is no objection, I'd like to release the first version of GRUB 2 for
> developers at the beginning of August, whatever status it is in. At the
> moment, I'm devoting myself into bugfixes and incorporation of workarounds
> from GRUB Legacy. I'm also going to implement a simple installer for
> GNU/Linux within this month.

It's very nice that you are working this hard now.  It is really nice
to see someone is working on the PC specific code again.  I am looking
forwards to the release.  It would be nice if we could get a
kerneltrap article, it could attract more developers. :)

> After that, I'd like to keep releasing new versions constantly. Hopefully,
> one
> per two or three months. The version numbers will be 1.9x, until we make GRUB
> 2 stable enough on PC.

Ok, fine for me.

> Currently, I believe that PC support is the priority, because people just
> stick to GRUB Legacy, and do not take part in GRUB 2. I won't push my opinion
> to others, but I wish others attach importance to the PC support and/or the
> generic part as well.

Right.  I assume things remain like they are?  For me PC support is
very important, although I work more on PPC support.  Please tell us
when you think there is a problem for the PC support caused by another
port.

> As I guess contributors in GRUB do not like to be specified what they should
> do, I'm not going to specify milestones for release management.

No, that would not be wise.  But having a good prioritized TODO list
is important and people pick up the TODO items quite well.

Thanks,
Marco