grub-devel

Re: network support

From: Vincent Guffens
Subject: Re: network support
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:09:19 +0100

Marco Gerards wrote:

[...]

Also, if we add a tftp command, what should we do with the downloaded
file. Maybe it would be convenient to have some kind of ramfs to be
able to copy the files there ?

Why?  The loader could load the file into memory, no?

it is just that I was thinking about tftp'ing module in the filesystem and loading them from there or something like that but it not necessary now.

What should I do now ? It is not practical to send a patch as they are
many news files coming directly from etherboot. Would it be an idea to
have a new netboot branch in the cvs so that it would be possible to
experiment with it without breaking anything else ?

Perhaps it would be better to wait until you have things working?  I
could test rtl8029, rtl8139 and some other cards I forgot about.

yes but I was just thinking about other people who would like to work on it meanwhile. As I have never done that before, it might take some time and I might not be able to do it at all. But, ok it is a good start to have this lspci working. I go back to work and see how it goes.

cheers !

--
                                Vincent Guffens
                                PhD Student UCL/CESAME