grub-devel

Re: network support

From: Vincent Guffens
Subject: Re: network support
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:08:47 +0100

Marco Gerards wrote:
Vincent Guffens <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Vincent,

I just wanted to make a small update on the network support as I've
just had grub2 sending bootp request. Here is the request as seen from
my laptop directly connected to my test pc:

Cool!  nice to hear about this progress.  I am sorry that I am slow
with my replies.  Please keep hacking, I do care but I just have
little time.

As for now, it compiles with as many warning as there are stars in the
sky but it at least, it does something.

What I've done is as follows:

    *  module : grub_pci
          o provided grub command : lspci, lspci_driver

Is it possible to split this up like I described in a previous email?

basically, I think this is it. The lspci_driver does nothing when you load this module but the module exports the pci_register_driver which take a pci_driver structure and adds it to a linked list. Then, lspci_driver just goes through the list and display the driver name. Drivers are not yet inited.

    * module : drv_*
          o provide grub command : none
          o description : driver from etherboot. Uses the
pci_register_driver to register itself and do nothing else
          o files: depends on the driver

Would it be later to register other kinds of devices with
pci_register_driver or is it very specific to NICs?

yes, all the etherboot drivers should just be fine after a small modification.

    * module : pcimodprobe
          o provide grub command : ifconfig
          o description : initialises the nic, probes for the config
          o files :

Config files?

Probing for the config here means looking for a dhcp server, obtaining an IP address, the gateway and the next-server. It does not yet look for the dhcp option-150 for the menu.

Now, at that point, the idea is that when you type a filename looking like

(nd0,tftp)/dir/file or (nd0)/dir/file

grub2 uses its IP address to contact the next-server with tftp to download the file /dir/file

For that purpose, I register a netfs file system. When the open method of the fs is called, the file is downladed and all the tftp blocks are stored in a linked list. The read method simply goes throught these blocks and reads a given lenght of data.

The tftp option in (nd0,tftp) is there for the future if we want to add some more download protocols like http or nfs as they do in etherboot.

The drivers are nearly no modified at all. I just changed
printf/grub_printf, added some #include and added the code to register
themselves.

Ok, cool :)

Thanks,
Marco