grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] support SCSI disks

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] support SCSI disks
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:31:04 -0500

On Oct 4, 2004, at 6:21 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

As far as I am concerned this patch can be committed.  So I will do
that when I have the time for that.

Great!

+      else if ((! grub_strcmp (alias->type, "scsi"))
+              || (! grub_strcmp (alias->type, "ide"))
+              || (! grub_strcmp (alias->type, "ata")))

What I meant with my previous email was finding these aliases that
function as controller dynamically if possible.  But this is ok for
now.

To handle something like USB devices, we would need to fully recurse below each node. The USB bus topology is represented in device tree nodes, so a USB block device could appear N levels deep below a "usb" alias. Firewire may be the same way. While I do have a USB flash device, my B&W G3's firmware doesn't recognize it as a block device, so I can't really test. However, this code supports SCSI for now, so I agree we can address the more general problem later.

+      /* XXX: Don't use hardcoded path lengths.  */
+      char childtype[64];
+      char childpath[64];
+      char childname[64];
+      char fullname[64];

I assume you tested this length is sufficient.

"Works for me", but as we discussed once I would prefer a get_property function that returns malloc'ed data. There may indeed be systems whose bus topology is so deep that we exhaust these buffers.

-Hollis