grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] support SCSI disks

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] support SCSI disks
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:48:17 -0500

On Oct 3, 2004, at 4:21 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Isn't it possible to make this a bit more generic?  So not iterating
over only scsi but also over `ide' when it is available, for example?
That way it is more likely the code will work on other machines as
well.

A given SCSI device could be either a byte-oriented tape or a block-oriented disk. However, I do not believe that the ATA protocol allows you to read a single byte, so ATA tape drives must implement blocking in the hardware. In other words, it is not possible to have both block- and byte-oriented device nodes representing an ATA device. That is probably why I have never seen an IDE/ATA "tape" node in a device tree.

If a system does turn up later in which some additional searching is needed, the problem can be resolved then. For now, my preference is not to write and maintain code that isn't needed, as unneeded code can only cause bugs.

-Hollis