grub-devel

Re: Autoloading WAS: normal/cmdline bug & patch

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: Autoloading WAS: normal/cmdline bug & patch
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:14:11 +0200

> The problem is that the filesystem type can not be determined in a
> uniform way.  You will have to include all tests in the core module.
> That removes the flexibility.

> What do you mean with fs-auto, unfortunately I do not understand.
> An example would help.

Autoloading should not be in 'core'. normal.mod an also work without
autoloading. So I want fs-auto.mod which will contain all test of
filesystems which are known at compile-time. Or, when such test can be
specified in some reasoable format, then fs-auto.mod should provide only
a function to execute this test (nearly same code as in 'file', but
simpler). We need not to determine fs exactly, we need only know that we
should try to load specified module. If this works not, then it's on
user to load the module (manualy or by grub.conf).

The format should be something as /etc/magic (or
/usr/share/misc/file/magic), but without the stuff about number of
heads, sectors and so on. If 'magic' of one filesystem can be written on
one line, we can have one file about autoloading as I decribed before.
--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik