Re: "Writing my PhD using groff"

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: "Writing my PhD using groff"
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 11:35:45 +0100

Hi Branden,

> You can _do_ the table of contents in one pass; relocating it to the
> front matter requires either a second pass or a post-processing tool.
> An index is a much bigger pain because it has to be sorted.

I have idly wondered from time to time if one diversion after another
could be created, each holding a page's content without any pages being
emitted, and then the diversions printed in a different order to their
creation.

Memory bloat would be an obvious downside, but it's more of an
experiment than a serious solution as re-arranging the pages is often
straightforward and some post-processing already required for other
reasons.

--
Cheers, Ralph.