Re: "Writing my PhD using groff"

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: "Writing my PhD using groff"
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:04:36 -0500

Hi DJ,

At 2022-07-25T01:40:28+0000, DJ Chase wrote:
> My only critique is that you may want to embed the fonts when
> distributing to prevent missing character issues.

Hmm, passing "-dEmbedAllFonts=true" to ps2pdf did not change the file
sizes at all.  Checking with pdffonts(1), only the Symbol font was not
already embedded, but the foregoing flag does not cause it to be.

(Some of the bizarre font name prefixes pdffonts reports _do_ change.
For example:

without -dEmbedAllFonts=true:
FAMQYS+Courier-Bold
EOBQMY+Courier
IKVFLM+Times-Roman
ZJEEGV+Times-Italic

with -dEmbedAllFonts=true:
BDUILA+Courier-Bold
BBVQWS+Courier
PPOQDH+Times-Roman
XNKFLF+Times-Italic
)

Yes, I could hack up my script to generate PDF directly with groff, but
for now I would rather convert from PostScript.  Is there a way to get
ps2pdf to honor this flag?

I'm out of my comfort zone here; expertise from PS/PDF gurus is welcome.

Regards,
Branden