Re: "Writing my PhD using groff"

From: josh
Subject: Re: "Writing my PhD using groff"
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 18:51:32 -0400

On Sunday, July 24, 2022, Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> Am I the only person who thinks that have *roff documentation in a
> different
> markup is crazy?
>
> I wrote a couple source management systems, this is like I was storing
> BitKeeper in Git.  That says I trust Git but not my own code.
>
> Has anyone proposed redoing the texinfo stuff in Groff?  If not, why not?

 Larry! Actually you proposed exactly that on this very mailing list in
2005 :-). I just happened to be reading through the archives last night...

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2005-10/msg00107.html

If you read through the thread following the above message there’s a lot of
interesting commentary, which is still somehow just a relevant in 2022 as
it was in 2005.

Josh