Re: Problem building latest git source

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Problem building latest git source
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 16:30:43 +0100

On Thursday, 7 July 2022 05:48:33 BST G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> At 2022-07-06T17:34:49-0400, Robert Goulding wrote:
> > I checked out the latest source and tried building it on my Chromebook
> > (i.e., Debian 11 (bullseye)). The compile stopped when it tried to
> > build the pdf of all the man pages:
> >
> > make[1]: Entering directory '/home/rdgoulding/groff-git'
> > GROFF    doc/groff-man-pages.pdf
> > gropdf:src/utils/addftinfo/addftinfo.1: fatal error: failed to open
> > '/usr/share/ghostscript/9.27/Resource/Font/NimbusRoman-Italic'
> > make[1]: *** [Makefile:12695: doc/groff-man-pages.pdf] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** Deleting file 'doc/groff-man-pages.pdf'
> > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/rdgoulding/groff-git'
> > make: *** [Makefile:5701: all] Error 2
> >
> > The odd thing is that I have ghostscript version 9.53.3 installed, not
> > 9.27, and the font it can't find is at
> > /usr/share/ghostscript/9.53.3/Resource/Font/NimbusRoman-Italic
>
> I hadn't built in my bullseye chroot lately because I stopped fiddling
> with the build system for a while (apart from adding regression tests),
> but I too have a problem, though it differs from yours.
>
> In my chroot, the BuildFoundries script is not locating the 'afmtodit'
> command (which is one of the build artifacts).  This happens with both
> in-tree and out-of-tree builds.  My bullseye chroot also uses
> Ghostscript 9.53.3, and these fonts _are_ found.  Please find part of my
> 'configure' output below.
>
> Nothing in the build hard-codes the Ghostscript version number used in
> the font search path, so I am wondering if you haven't forgotten to
> re-run 'configure'.  It might help to 'make distclean' first...but I
> wouldn't be surprised if you hit the same afmtodit problem I did.  I'll
> look at BuildFoundries and see if I can spot an error, but Deri's eyes
> will be better than mine here.
>
> In the below, you might want to see how your 'configure' output compares
> to mine for the "gs version" and "URW fonts" checks.
>
> Deri, can you throw any light on this stuff?

One possibility is that somehow it is running the currently installed groff,
rather than test-groff,
so it would be looking at the download file in
/usr/share/groff/1.23.0/font/devpdf rather than
the new download just created within the build directory. Please could you have
a look in font/
devpdf in the build directory to see if the font paths refer to the correct
ghostscript version. The
download file under the /usr/share/groff directory is likely to contain stale
paths to a previous
version of ghostscript.

Cheers

Deri