Puzzle about ms files generated by pandoc

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Puzzle about ms files generated by pandoc
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 08:00:20 -0400

I used pandoc to generate nicely formatted printouts of s.tmac (because I
want to study it and understand a little better how it works). I tried
several highlight styles; and found that when I used groff to compile the
"monochrome" style, it failed with the error "groff ms macros require groff
extensions; aborting" -- which is odd, because of course I'm using groff!

A partial pdf of the ms macros was generated, but stops the line before the
source reads "groff ms macros require groff extensions; aborting" -- so
that is surely significant. But when I looked at the files generated for
monochrome and for another highlight style ("kate"), I couldn't see where
the error might be. I've attached both - can anyone spot why groff may be
failing *as if *groff were not being used in the groff -ms macros?

Thanks - Robert.

--
Robert Goulding
Director, John J. Reilly Center for Science, Technology, and Values;