Re: Groff hanging when called from Java

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Groff hanging when called from Java
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:30:00 +0000

Hi Blake,

> I passed an errant file to groff through java and the process is
> hanging.

I've never used Java, but I expect it's waiting for you to process some
of the large amount of output from the program to stderr before it
proceeds to read more.  This blocks tbl(1) when it tries to write to
stderr.  Look into what those Java routines are doing with the command's
stdout and stderr and whether there are any default buffer sizes being
exceeded by stderr.  Here, tbl prints 265,419 B to stderr, which is
suspiciously a bit over 256 KiB.

--
Cheers, Ralph.