Groff hanging when called from Java

From: Blake McBride
Subject: Groff hanging when called from Java
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 07:54:27 -0600

Greetings,

I have been calling groff from java for a long time.  Works well.  However,
recently I passed an errant file to groff through java and the process is
hanging.  When run from the command line it works as expected.  But when I
run it through java it hangs.  I'm at a loss.  Any help would sure be
appreciated.

The Java code (Main.java):

public class Main {

    public static void main(String [] argv) throws Exception {
        ProcessBuilder builder = new ProcessBuilder("groff", "-mm", "-t",
"-Tpdf", "file.mm");
        Process p = builder.start();
        p.waitFor();
        System.out.println("Done.");
    }
}

It hangs on the p.waitFor().  If I do a "ps lax |grep groff" I see groff is
still running (hung).

I am attaching file.mm  I know it is wrong, but it shouldn't cause a hang.

Sure appreciate any help!

Blake McBride