Re: End-of-sentence spacing

From: Karthik Suresh
Subject: Re: End-of-sentence spacing
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 23:13:08 +0000

On 19/12/2020 22:36, James K. Lowden wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 20:18:19 +0000
Karthik Suresh <k.suresh@jayamony.co.uk> wrote:

I think it's also the advice Brian Kernighan gives about breaking
at natural phrase points in the text as we tend to edit a phrase at a
time.

I hadn't heard that.  Do you know where you read it?

Going back to 1983 is the Unix Documenter’s Workbench that has these lines about typing a document:

“First, when you do the purely mechanical operation of typing, type so that later editing will be easy. Start each sentence on a new line. Make lines short, and break lines at natural places, such as after commas and semicolons, rather than randomly. Since most people change documents by rewriting phrases and adding, deleting, and rearranging sentences, these precautions simplify any editing needed later.”

This approach is also particularly useful if you use ed a lot, which I do for writing as it makes editing in a line editor so much easier. For example, Kernighan's tutorial to ed uses the following example:

Now is the time
for all good men
to come to the aid of their party.

The article I mentioned in the previous thread, about "semantic linefeeds" is the bit that ties this to Kernighan. Extract below.

https://rhodesmill.org/brandon/2012/one-sentence-per-line/

But after an extensive search, I have found an earlier source — and I could not be any happier to discover that my inspiration is none other than Brian W. Kernighan!

He published “UNIX for Beginners” [PDF] as Bell Labs Technical Memorandum 74-1273-18 on 29 October 1974. It describes a far more primitive version of the operating system than his more famous and more widely available “UNIX for Beginners — Second Edition” from 1978. After a long search I have found the lone copy linked above, hosted on an obscure Japanese web page about UNIX 6th Edition which has now disappeared but can still be viewed on the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine (to which both of the links above point). In the section “Hints for Preparing Documents,” Kernighan shares this wisdom:

    Hints for Preparing Documents

Most documents go through several versions (always more than you expected) before they are finally finished. Accordingly, you should do whatever possible to make the job of changing them easy.

First, when you do the purely mechanical operations of typing, type so subsequent editing will be easy. Start each sentence on a new line. Make lines short, and break lines at natural places, such as after commas and semicolons, rather than randomly. Since most people change documents by rewriting phrases and adding, deleting and rearranging sentences, these precautions simplify any editing you have to do later.

    — Brian W. Kernighan, 1974

Karthik