Re: End-of-sentence spacing

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: End-of-sentence spacing
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 12:30:09 -0500

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020, Dave Kemper wrote:
> I think you're confusing starting every sentence on its own line with
> using newlines nowhere *except* between sentences.

You are right.  My distaste for hitting return instead of space
after a period clouded my reading of the advice. :)

> > Furthermore, since groff treats end of sentence characters followed
> > by one space, two spaces, or newlines identically when sentence
> > spacing is disabled (as it is by default),
>
> That *should* be true, but isn't
> (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?58500).  Some non-English-language tmac
> files disable wider sentence spacing, and perhaps some macro packages,
> but by default groff itself does not.

Perhaps I should have been more verbose and written: According
to the info(1) manual, initially both the WORD_SPACE_SIZE and
SENTENCE_SPACE_SIZE are 12; since this prevents SS from being larger
than WS, it effectively disables sentence spacing.

It just seemed easier to write "disabled by default."

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca