Re: End-of-sentence spacing

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: End-of-sentence spacing
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 13:16:54 -0500

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020, Ulrich Lauther wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 10:27:01AM +0000, Dorai Sitaram wrote:
> > groff pretty much forces one to use two spaces after
> > sentence-ending punctuation, unless it's at the end of a source
> > line.
>
> In my opinion it is good style to start every sentence on a new
> source line.

A piece of advice I have been happily ignoring since sometime back
in the 90s.  Certain kinds of texts (scientific, technical) and the
ways they are to be used (e.g. one off, or formatted for multiple media
types and platforms) undeniably benefit from it.  But I simply
cannot compose a work of fiction, or an article, or a rewiew one
screen line at a time.  It is not how one reads (at least not those
of us who grew up reading ink on dead trees), and significantly
interferes with one's ability to assess the meaning and flow of the
text.

This is the the first paragraph of _Bleak House_ typed one screen
line at a time, no wrap:

London.
Michaelmas term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln's Inn
Hall.
Implacable November weather.
As much mud in the streets as if the waters had but newly retired from the face
of the earth, and it would not be wonderful to meet a Megalosaurus, forty feet
long or so, waddling like an elephantine lizard up Holborn Hill.
Smoke lowering down from chimney-pots, making a soft black drizzle, with flakes
of soot in it as big as full-grown snowflakes—gone into mourning, one might
imagine, for the death of the sun.
Dogs, undistinguishable in mire.
Horses, scarcely better; splashed to their very blinkers.
Foot passengers, jostling one another's umbrellas in a general infection of ill
temper, and losing their foot-hold at street-corners, where tens of thousands
of other foot passengers have been slipping and sliding since the day broke (if
this day ever broke), adding new deposits to the crust upon crust of mud,
sticking at those points tenaciously to the pavement, and accumulating at
compound interest.

I can't even read the whole text because half of it is off-screen!

Moreover, if I turn wrapping on, the last sentence alone takes up
six lines on an 80-col terminal and would be hell to edit for those
of us who use 'k' and 'j' to navigate up and down in vi since a
single 'j' moves the cursor six lines down--generally not what you
expect.  Wrap conflates 'k' and 'j' with '('and ')'.  In other words,
'k' and 'j' effectively become sentence navigation commands instead
of screen movement commands.  This represents a significant loss of
editing functionality.

Here's the same paragraph, 72 characters per line, automatic wrap.

[...]

I can see all the text, my head doesn't have to swivel like at
a tennis match to read from left to right, and I can grasp the
overall effectiveness of the paragraph in a few seconds.  I can,
furthermore, navigate up and down in the text in the expected manner
in addition to jumping from sentence to sentence if I wish.

Since groff imposes no requirement that each sentence be a unique
source line, I see no reason even to suggest it to (new) users as
good style, except as a useful, and perhaps at times required,
strategy for collaborative/multiplatfom/multimedia documents.

Furthermore, since groff treats end of sentence characters followed
by one space, two spaces, or newlines identically when sentence
spacing is disabled (as it is by default), the issue of whether to
enter monospaced input with one or two spaces between sentences
is moot.  Either can be used.  I prefer two because even in
between sentences being fractionally larger than the space between
words; two spaces is how you tell groff to use sentence spacing when
you're not doing sentence-by-line input.  Plus I'm scared that the
ghost of my highschool typing teacher is going to whack me with his
pointer for not double-spacing sentences.

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca