Re: Footnote line length ratio to current line length

From: T. Kurt Bond
Subject: Re: Footnote line length ratio to current line length
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 16:22:45 -0500

> > (I think making setting FR effective before the next footnote, like
> > setting FL in one column mode, would take rewriting par@reset to
> > recalculate fn:MCLL every time, instead of just after a .MC.)

> I'm not entirely sure what to do about this.  How much fidelity to AT&T
> ms behavior do people expect from ms?  I've begun to surmise that the
> answer is "a lot less than they expect from man(7) documents".

That's a thorny question.  I actually do expect that unless I use the
extensions of groff or Heirloom troff explicitly I'll get a document that
is processed successfully and that produced output that is as nearly as
possible to what the classical implementations of troff would have
produced.  This means that documents that I wrote 30 years ago and
documents others wrote even longer ago can still be processed and produce
the correct output.  (Sometimes I have to make changes to other programs I
use to build my documents, but not to the troff source of my document.)
Troff has done better in terms of backwards compatibility than has LaTeX,
in my experience.

Adding FR as an extension seems fine: documents that don't set it will
still get the 5/6 ratio, while other documents have the option for
producing what is to some eyes a better appearance by explicitly opting in.

--
T. Kurt Bond, tkurtbond@gmail.com, https://tkurtbond.github.io