Re: [ms] Footnote line length ratio to current line length

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [ms] Footnote line length ratio to current line length
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 21:02:16 +0000

On 09/12/2020 22:42, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> We can probably just switch to using GW, and I think we should.  MINGW
> is too easy to read incorrectly (as "Ming W"), and to confuse with
> "Minimalist GNU for Windows".  (I'll be annoyed if the semantics
> of GW and MINGW differ, but I suspect it'll still be worth it.)

Right.  The correctly capitalized acronym, with which you wish to avoid
confusion, is "MinGW"; upper-case "M", followed by lower-case "in", then
upper-case again for "GW", and there is *definitely* no embedded space,
at any point.

Another consideration is that "MinGW" is a trademark, registered in the
USA by SPI Inc. on behalf of "Minimalist GNU for Windows".  While it is
clear that groff's use of "MINGW" in s.tmac has nothing to do with the
MinGW project, the USPTO makes no distinction on the basis of variant
capitalization of the trademark.

--
Keith.