Re: Learning troff - where to start?

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey
Subject: Re: Learning troff - where to start?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 11:23:27 +1100

On Wednesday, 14 October 2020 at 11:12:26 +1100, Damian McGuckin wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2020, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> I do, notably the PostScript display requests.
>
> If you mean the
>
>       \X'ps: file ....'
>
> OK. Point taken although older troff could handle that also from
> memory.  But it is so long ago, I cannot remember how.

Yes, that's the way it is for me too.  I wrote the macros about 25
years ago for "The Complete FreeBSD", and I haven't looked at them in
over 10 years.  I did today, and I found it a real rat's nest of
documentation.  Strangely the macro code was much more readable.  But
that brings us back to where we came in: where is there
well-structured documentation for the current groff?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.