Re: (off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: (off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 20:42:26 +1000

XML is verbose, cumbersome to read and write, and has two different ways to
express data structures:

<doc title="My stupid document" enabled="true"></doc>

<doc>
    <title>My stupid document</title>
    <enabled>true</enabled>
    <enabled />
</doc>

Conversely, JSON is more concise and predictable:

{ "title": "My stupid document", "enabled": true }

XML isn't an easy format to (correctly) parse, either: stuff like entity
declarations <https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-entity-decl> and processor
directives <https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#entproc> need to be dealt with on
top of DTD, XSLT, and correct element nesting.

Unless data can be adequately expressed as tab- and newline-delimited
lists, JSON is a *hell* of a lot easier to work with than XML.