(off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?

From: Marc Chantreux
Subject: (off topic?) Docbook? Re: manlint?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 08:07:39 +0200

hello,

first: thanks for this thread! -Tlint is helpful.

> > I assume the reference to Docbook, which might indeed capsize
> > like an overweight freighter, but XML is such a simple and robust
> > form of structuring documents that it's going to outlast us all.

so is fortran probably. this is not about being relevant: it's about
being here in an economic system with no interest for hidden technical
details.

> Even if XML-DocBook doesn't flourish as a transport format in the
> future, one benefit of the lift is that you can style much
> higher-quality HTML by going man -> XML -> HTML than you can with
> any of the direct man to HTML converters out there.

I loved the docbook structure and metainfos but ran away because of
xml. Nowaday i have the same problem with html so i wrote a preprocessor
and finally switched to a more popular one from the js world: pug (wich
was close enough from what i had anyway). so now i can reconsider
xml(svg,...)/html the way i consider the ps or pdf format:
i never edit or read it.

the combo pug/docbook would be nice to me but i have the feeling that
xml (and its well deserved decay) killed docbook. is the docbook community
still active? are the tools maintained?

regards
marc