Re: how far can i go with grotty?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: how far can i go with grotty?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 17:57:10 +1000

> and yet i'm confused: can you explain the benefit of it over my simple
> and working sed '/^$/d' ?

sed /^$/d will wipe empty lines wherever they're found, instead of only
removing those at the end of a document.

Many man(1) implementations deliberately "squeeze" empty lines to improve
the display of badly-written or sloppily-converted Roff code. You can see
this for yourself:

.\" test.roff
Hello
.sp 5
World
.sp 5

Now compare the output of `groff -Tutf8 ./test.roff` with man `./test.roff`.