Re: how far can i go with grotty?

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: how far can i go with grotty?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 20:28:18 +0200

> also: i need "sed '/^$/q'" at the end of my filter because groff
> renders a lot of empty lines at the end of the output whenever i
> use b in my tbl format. i don't know how to remove it.

I don't understand how empty lines at the end can be related
to making things bold (which is what "b" is supposed to do).

I suspect it is because of page length, with groff outputting
the empty part of an only partially filled page at the end.
If that is the case, you can request a really long page with
something like

  .pl 10000

at the very beginning (to prevent pagination during output
of the table), but then at the end (after the table) say

  .pl 1

which will set the page length to just one line (so partially
filled pages cannot exist).  Then you can leave out the final
sed command.