Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?

From: B 9
Subject: Re: Groff macro to make .UR and .UE links clickable in PDF?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 19:02:50 -0700

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> wrote:

> Attached please see the PDF output of groff 1.22.4 and mandoc 1.14.5;
> neither of them adds a newline before or after the clickable link.

What is the groff command line you are using? I tried groff 1.22.4 on
a couple different machines and couldn't come up with a clickable link
in the PDF. I tried both 'groff -Tpdf -mandoc' and 'pdfroff -mandoc'.

> I find it artificial to use the same URL both as the linked text
> and the link itself, but I guess your point is that URLs can be
> so long they wrap. Yes they can. What does UR/UE
> (not suppported in mdoc) do about it?

I had thought UR/UE was hiding the URL when link text was provided,
but I was mistaken. It was simply that, as you say, mdoc didn't
support it.

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> wrote:
> > Just nroff and PDF with very basic links. No need for HTML at the moment.
>
> The recent groff seems to do that.

Are you sure you're not using BSD's Heirloom Troff? Or, perhaps you're
using the BSD version of mandoc? Or -- as is most likely -- am I
missing something fundamental?

--b9