Re: eqn sqrt and pdf?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: eqn sqrt and pdf?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 15:46:00 +0000

Hi Piotr,

> A potential problem with GROFF/ghostscript is that it DOES NOT embed
> the Symbol font even with the -P-e option. I wish the developers could
> check this.

groff 1.22.4-1 on Arch Linux.  I tried -e and found groff could no
longer find the Symbol font to embed.  Investigation showed the fix and
I now think it does.

    $ troff -Tpdf <<<'\(ra' | gropdf | pdffonts -
    name         type      encoding         emb sub uni object ID
    ------------ --------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
    Symbol       Type 1    Custom           no  no  no       5  0
    $
    $ troff -Tpdf <<<'\(ra' | gropdf -e | pdffonts -
    Failed to open '/usr/share/ghostscript/9.26/Resource/Font/StandardSymbolsPS'
    Syntax Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
    Syntax Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
    Syntax Error: Couldn't read xref table
    $
    $ pkgfile -v StandardSymbolsPS
    extra/ghostscript 9.27-2
/usr/share/ghostscript/9.27/Resource/Font/StandardSymbolsPS
    $ </usr/share/ghostscript/9.27/Resource/Font/StandardSymbolsPS
    $
    $ cd /usr/share/groff/1.22.4/font/devpdf
    $ grep Symbol download
            Symbol  */usr/share/ghostscript/9.26/Resource/Font/StandardSymbolsPS
    $ sudo sed -i 's,ghostscript/9.26,ghostscript/9.27,' download
    $
    $ troff -Tpdf <<<'\(ra' | gropdf -e | pdffonts -
    name         type      encoding         emb sub uni object ID
    Symbol       Type 1    Custom           yes no  no       5  0
    $

--
Cheers, Ralph.