Re: [groff] mom manpage

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] mom manpage
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 01:55:35 +1100

> Software that inherently defies concise description is suspect on
> its face. In all likelihood it was built by accumulation way beyond
> the bounds of any organizing principles that the author(s) may have
> had at the outset.

MDN (Mozilla Development Network) is probably the first offender that comes
to mind:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/

Nothing about the site's organisation, structure, or even URLs makes any
sense because it's been accumulated from so many sources over time, and I
don't think most of the authors knew or cared how the data was organised
underneath... they just wanted to get it online and documented.

Unfortunately, MDN is very much the bible of web technologies, and I use it
constantly every day. I find myself wishing the site was in man-page form,
so I could just run

man 3dom insertBefore

... instead of:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Node/insertBefore

... each time I forget the argument order. Granted, web technologies are
such a vast (and frequently changing) area, but I bet if they replaced
their wikis with man-pages, the content would be 100 times more accessible
than it is now.

/rant