Re: [groff] mom manpage

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [groff] mom manpage
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 18:47:37 +0100

Hello Ingo,

Ingo Schwarze wrote in <address@hidden>:
 |John Gardner wrote on Sat, Dec 01, 2018 at 05:36:25PM +1100:
 |> Ingo Schwarze wrote:
 |>> Even moderately large systems can be beautifully documented in a
 |>> single manual page - for example, a shell
 |
 |> It's amazing how true this is. Even with massive man-pages, it's still
 |> easier to find what I'm looking for in less(1) by hitting the `/` key and
 |> typing a search string.
 |
 |Even better - on OpenBSD-current, i simply type
 |
 |   $ man -O tag=wait ksh
 |
 |and less(1) starts up like this:
 |Try that kind of hyperlinking with "/".
 |
 |Just like   https://man.openbsd.org/ksh#wait
 |only at the console.  And no, it does *not* require the author to
 |say "i want an anchor here" in any special syntax.  It just works
 |from the normal manual page markup, without doing anything special.

it is really quite impressive how often this works, even perfect
in practice for short manuals, but still, after four years,
i completely disagree with the "better" you claimed this to be
in comparison to a programmable anchor mechanism.  Having an -a or
-mx or whatever command flag to commands would be the best,
though.  I am nonetheless happy with my mdocmx for mdoc, i really
could not live without.

--steffen