[groff] Groff & tbl as a report generator

From: Blake McBride
Subject: [groff] Groff & tbl as a report generator
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 12:26:57 -0500

A few years ago I thought of a really, really good use for groff and tbl.
Thought I'd share.

I write (web-based) business applications.  Often I have to generate
reports which largely mean PDF files.  In the past, I used some open-source
PDF generation utilities.  They worked, but what a nightmare!  Handling
paging and lining everything up took hours.

Then, a few years ago, I thought of generating groff/tbl input instead and
then calling those tools to generate the final PDF output.  This made my
ability to produce reports skyrocket.  I have a deep love of troff but
don't get to use it as much as I'd like.  Now I'll be using it all of the
time.

This is a great use of groff et al.   I will be using it all of the time
now!

Blake McBride