Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 06:21:33 +1000

> *Unless you have strong reasons for the different syntax, pleaseconsider
> using the syntax established in the new man.cgi(8) a fewyears ago: *

> *  protocol://[manpath/][arch/]name[.sec][#fragment]*

Thank you for bringing this to me. =) Yes I most certainly will use this
syntax (didn't consider the possibility of including $MANPATH in the URI).

*and blanks in fragment names replaced by underscores rather than hyphens,
> for example:*

The underscores look really jarring... what's the argument against using
dashes instead? Slugs like "#camel-kebab-case" tend to be formatted that
way, for example...

man://mandoc.1#EXIT_STATUS

Now,  as for the SHOUTY SHOUTY... for HTML output, I'll be using correctly
cased section headings, with the correct application of `text-transform:
uppercase;` being applied by CSS. In fact you can a start I made on a
semantic HTML5  output example:

*https://rawgit.com/Alhadis/Stylesheets/master/complete/manpage/example.html#name
<https://rawgit.com/Alhadis/Stylesheets/master/complete/manpage/example.html#name>*

This will be generated by one of two projects I intend to start once this
is finished - postprocessors for purely semantic web technologies that
follow WAI-ARIA accessibility practices and uphold contemporary
web-authoring recommendations.

Note the minimalism in the code I've linked you to... So far, this is what
I've written for its stylesheet
<https://rawgit.com/Alhadis/Stylesheets/master/complete/manpage/manpage.css>
: