Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 14:09:04 -0400

Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> wrote:

> So yeah, even though proportional font is slowly becoming more
> widely used, you may be right:  The legacy of Wolfram Schneider's
> FreeBSD man.cgi is still pretty widespread and even motivated Michael
> Stapelberg to use a fixed width font for Debian, even though the
> rendering engine he uses would happily support proportional fonts.

This is the thing I miss most about Konqueror: you could type a URI like
“man:mdoc” and it would format and display the page. Whatever they were
using for an algorithm, it worked better to display a manpage as HTML than
anything else available at the time.

When Apple first announced Safari, and its Webkit origins, I had high hopes
they would carry that feature over. No such luck.

        Larry