Re: [Groff] Converting basic units to inches in PostScript

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Converting basic units to inches in PostScript
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2016 15:04:59 +0100

Hi John,

> > > If you use .in with a register value you have to set the unit to
> > > u,
>
> Hrm, well, adding the `u` suffix to `.in` *did* change the
> indentation, but it's suddenly too small.

Carsten means if the register holds a value that's already been
converted to base units then append a u.  If it holds inches, for
example, then append an i.

    $ nroff | grep .
    .nr n 3
    foo
    .br
    .in \nni
    bar
    foo
                                  bar
    $

> the code may be found here
> <https://github.com/Alhadis/AddressPrinter>.

A smaller test case would be better for those of us pressed for time!
:-)

> `make template && make all`.

Or `make template all'.  ;-)

> The \n[.o] register is only giving me 72000, which isn't very helpful
> (I'm assuming that's supposed to reflect the page's horizontal
> dimensions...)

No, see section 3 of CSTR 54 and

    info groff | less +/'Request: .po \[offset]'

72,000 looks to be an inch worth of millipoints given a PostScript
output device.

Cheers, Ralph.