Re: [Groff] Converting basic units to inches in PostScript

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Converting basic units to inches in PostScript
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2016 15:29:26 +0100 (BST)

Regarding your "72000", this will refer to 72000 "millipoints".
In current standard orthograhy, 1 point is 1/72 of an inch,
amd what I call a "millipoint" is of course 1/1000 of a point.
It is ths standard unit (groff "u") for PostScript output
("devps" output device). So "72000" in \n[.o] denotes a page-offset
of 1 inch in devps.

Other output devices may use different dimensions for "u".
These can be found as "res" (resolution) in the "DESC" file
for the output device'. Thus:
.../font/devps/DESC : "res 72000"
.../font/devascii/DESC : "res 240"
.../font/devdvi/DESC : "res 57816"
and so on (the last, devdvi -- as used by TeX -- can in
the politest terms be described as "inconvenient").

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 03-Aug-2016  Time: 15:29:20