Re: [Groff] ms .AB/.AE abstract loger than a page = macro error: cover s

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] ms .AB/.AE abstract loger than a page = macro error: cover sheet overflow
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:15:42 +0100 (BST)

On 05-Sep-2014 10:24:17 Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> I have a document with an abstract,
> inside ms .AB/.AE, that is longer than a page.
> With groff -ms ... I get
>
> macro error: cover sheet overflow
>
> and the abstract is truncated at the end of
> the first page. Is this the expected behaviour?
>
> Of course the point of an abstract is to fit on one page.
> However, it is always good to know the rules exactly.
> So is ms supposed to behave in this way?
>
> Thanks
> Anton

In ms, .AB/.AE lead into a tangle of macros that make up the printing
of the Cover Page. In s.tamc, search for ".de cov*rp-print", and
towards the end of that macro you will see:

.\" If anything was printed below where the footer line is normally printed,
.\" then that's an overflow.
.if -\\n[FM]/2+1v+\\n[cov*page-length]<\\n[nl] address@hidden cover sheet
overflow

So it is intended behaviour! The Cover Page is one page.

Speaking for myself, I never use the cover-page resources, since
it is more straightforward (and offers more flexibility) to simply
write one's own leading text (if needed).

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 05-Sep-2014  Time: 12:15:38