Re: [Groff] ms .AB/.AE abstract loger than a page = macro error: cover s

From: Anton Shterenlikht
Subject: Re: [Groff] ms .AB/.AE abstract loger than a page = macro error: cover sheet overflow
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 12:10:55 +0100 (BST)

>From address@hidden Fri Sep  5 11:38:30 2014
>
>Hi Anton,
>
>> Of course the point of an abstract is to fit on one page.
>> However, it is always good to know the rules exactly.
>> So is ms supposed to behave in this way?
>
>It only has code to handle a cover *page*, so yes.
>http://sources.debian.net/src/groff/1.22.2-7/tmac/s.tmac/?hl=374#L343
>groff_ms(7) talks of cover page, singular.

ok, thank you for the confirmation.

Although... what's that 2 lines down:
http://sources.debian.net/src/groff/1.22.2-7/tmac/s.tmac/?hl=374#L345

.pl 1000i

Doesn't this make the cover page 1000 inches long?

There is another issue that has caused me some
frustration. It is related to the topic of this
thread so I'll try to explain it here.

Consider that one wants to produce a plain text
and a Postscript documents from the same groff
source. With reasonable defaults a lot more
fits on one Postscript page than on a plain
text page.

For example, I have the above error
issued only when I try to produce the text document.
In the Postscript document my abstract comfortably
fits on one page. I can set .pl to a very high
number in the troff source file designed to
be processed for plain text output. I can then
use unix pr, or similar, if I want to split the
plain text into pages. Typically I might want to
place the plain text version online, so pagination
is not really needed anyway. However, I don't like
that I need to modify the source.
Or can I set the page length with command line flags?

What is the best strategy for
dealing with these issues?

Many thanks

Anton