Re: [Groff] [Groff & Heirloom] tbl problem with backslashes

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Groff & Heirloom] tbl problem with backslashes
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 12:49:13 +0200 (CEST)

----- Original Nachricht ----
Von:     Blake McBride <address@hidden>
Datum:   01.09.2014 06:25

> I am processing it with tbl & troff but no macro packages.  They produce
> different results - both unexpected by me.  What I am trying to produce is
> as follows:
>
> INPUT    PRODUCES
> abc      def

There may be a "feature" of fields in AT&T based code involved.  There "\\" is
reduced to "\", but not by groff fields.  In the documentation I can access
here (groff, Heirloom, Books from Srinivasan and Schirmer) there is no comment
regarding backslashes in fields.

I'm not sure if I'd like to fix this "feature" (because of compatibility).  In
this special case it is suggested to use "\e" at the moment ....