Re: [Groff] [Groff & Heirloom] tbl problem with backslashes

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Groff & Heirloom] tbl problem with backslashes
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 09:00:12 +0100 (BST)

On 01-Sep-2014 04:25:28 Blake McBride wrote:
> I found that Groff and Heirloom handle backslashes in tables differently.
>  I actually think both are wrong, but I am not sure.  My input is as
> follows:
>
> .TS
> a a .
> INPUT PRODUCES
> \\\\ \\
> abc def
> .TE
>

> I am processing it with tbl & troff but no macro packages.  They produce
> different results - both unexpected by me.  What I am trying to produce is
> as follows:
>
> INPUT    PRODUCES
> \\       \
> abc      def
>

> (Yes, I am using tabs between the columns on the real input file.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Blake

WHile not quite sure about the details of the logic underlying
the effect you describe, I think that your first line of table
entries is suppressing the end-of-line in the input.

Try instead (with TAB where the spaces are, as you describe):

.TS
a a .
INPUT PRODUCES
\\\\ \\\&
abc def
.TE

where the extra "\&" introduces an invisible character in the
input, thus isolating the end-of-line from the preceding "\\".

And of course one can more explicitly mark the separator, e.g.:

.TS
tab(#);
a a .
INPUT#PRODUCES