Re: [Groff] groff german hyphenation question

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff german hyphenation question
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:44:25 +0200

> Or do I have to add .hcode requests by myself?

You do.  Which shows that my original example must have been
hyphenated at another pattern, since as a standalone example
it didn't contain a useful hyphenation code for the umlaut.
Sorry about that.  (Well, it could always have been the case
that groff doesn't hyphenate words with unknown characters
at all, but that's not the way it works.)

See below for a better example.

> Second question: Do I have to write ".hla den" or ".hla de"?
> There is no error message in both cases and the documentation
> is not 100% clear.

You can use any name.  This is just to associate hyphenation
patterns with a tag, so you can easily switch between languages
(without always reloading the pattern files):

  .pl 8v
  .ll 25n
  .hla xx
  .hpf hyphen.det