Re: [Groff] Macro packages

From: brian m. carlson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Macro packages
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 18:32:25 +0000

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 07:10:56PM +0100, trebol wrote:
> Hello all,
> I’m  new  using groff.  Can anyone tell me a short introduc‐
> tion to the ms, mm, me, mom macro packages? I would like  to
> know  the opinion of someone who has used these packages for
> all types of works (math,  literature,  ...).   I’m  reading
> "Unix  text  processing", "Troff user manual" and the gtroff
> reference in the groff’s info manual; and now I  would  like
> to start using a macro package.  Can anyone help me?

I've used -me (and a set of extensions to it I wrote, -mx) for poetry,
short creative prose, and several college papers (where the professor
did not require MLA format).  I've set someone up with some -me basics
in order to write some software documentation as well.  I've also abused
it to write some formal business letters.  It's my preferred macro
package, but of course everyone will have their own preferences.