Re: [Groff] Macro packages

From: Luis Anaya
Subject: Re: [Groff] Macro packages
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 15:14:07 -0400

trebol <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello all,
Hi

> I?m  new  using groff.

Cool!

> Can anyone tell me a short introduc?
> tion to the ms, mm, me, mom macro packages? I would like  to

I have been working with the mm Macros since the 1987. I'm more
familiar with them. However, I've worked on some of these set as part of the
development of the org-mode exporter for Groff.

These how I see them in my opinion (others will differ):

1. MM is geared for business communications and the default style is
based on what was used in the Bell system. However, I've written a
fairly wide style of documents with these. Even though these were built
using org mode from Emacs, the macros used where from the MM set.

https://www.box.com/s/578d9a22c890ddcea8bd

2. MOM seems to be more geared to literary works, but certainly does not
mean that is the only type of document that can be written. It also has
a separate macro set for letter writing.

The distinctive feature of these is that it uses words rather than two
letter mnemonics are used which makes it easier to follow what's going
on. This also makes it less intimidating to new users.

3. MS was the first macro set written by Bell Labs, they look a lot like
MM in the way they work. Being that the set is smaller than MM and MOM,
some people prefer to start with these because it is less instructions
to remember.

I can't comment on the ME macros, I've not used them.

> know  the opinion of someone who has used these packages for
> all types of works (math,  literature,  ...).

All of them are able to create these types of documents. It is a
matter on how hard is to learn the commands and use them. In my
opinion, try each of them and use the one that you like.

Math is created through the EQN preprocessor which can be
used with any of these set of macros.

--
Luis Anaya
papo anaya aroba hot mail punto com