Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:53:00 +0100

On 28/03/12 16:09, Petr Man wrote:
> Keith clarified,

I didn't...

> that the errors came from pdfroff,

...because they don't.

> I thought they were from groff directly.

They are; specifically, when groff processes this...

  .nop \X'ps:exec [\\$* pdfmark'\c

...expression as it expands a .pdfmark macro invocation, in which $*
contains any groff special character, (such as the \(de I mentioned
earlier).  Now, it may be that \X can pass Unicode code point data, but
it is documented, (in groff's texinfo manual), that it will not handle
any groff escape, (other than a select few which are simply ignored), so
anything which needs an escape to express it, would seem to be excluded
from any pdfmark, such as is required to place a bookmark.

Keith.