Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts

From: Petr Man
Subject: Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:09:20 +0200

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 15:29, Deri James <address@hidden> wrote:
> Are you talking about missing from the bookmark ouitline panel or missing from
> the text of the document?
>
> Missing from outline = each \X warning indicates a character was dropped. (For
> the reason Keith gave).
> Missing from document = probable font problem. (And we'd need a minimal
> example as requested by Werner).
>
> Deri

Hi Deri,

Keith clarified, that the errors came from pdfroff, I thought they
were from groff directly. At this moment I don't care about the
bookmarks really, all I want is to have the document display
correctly.

Example text should read:
Příliš žluťoučký kůň úpěl ďábelské ódy.

with iconv '-futf8' '-tlatin2', pipe to groff, doesn't complain:
Píli lu»ouký k úpl ábelské ódy.

with no conversion, complains with stdin:136: can't translate
character code 195 to special character `~A' in transparent
throughput:
Pli luouÄk k pÄl Äbelsk© dy.

When I use -k -Dutf8:
P liš žluouk k pl belsk dy.

This happens for me with the default fonts as well, not just the ones
that I have converted. I suspect groff doesn't know how to find the
glyphs.

Petr