Re: [Groff] refer help

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer help
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 21:59:54 -0400

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> The first is that refer doesn't appear to recognize named glyphs in
> a refer database, eg "Encyclop\[ae]dia Britannica" comes out as
> "Encyclop dia Britannica" and "Antoine de St-Exup\['e]ry" as
> "Antoine de St-Exup ry".  Is there a solution to this,
> or a known workaround?

Problem solved.  It turned out to be a fileencoding issue with vim.
om.tmac is latin1 encoded, and somehow the copy I'm working from
ended up utf8.  Didn't spot it until I diffed my copy with the
original and saw that some .tr requests involving diacritics were
being diffed out and replaced with gobbledygook.

Though that doesn't explain refer's "working in some places but
not in others" behaviour with respect to named glyphs.  Rainy day
problem, I guess.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of The Binbrook Caucus