Re: [Groff] Getting properly rendered single quotes in groff

From: Stuart Brady
Subject: Re: [Groff] Getting properly rendered single quotes in groff
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:54:21 +0100

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 06:50:59PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Mhmm.  Personally, I prefer `foo' to 'foo' even if looks ugly with
> most fonts.

Hmm -- I can see that it has a small advantage, but even so...

I don't really mind whether groff uses `foo' or 'foo' when rendering for
ascii/latin1/whatever -- however, I feel that if Michael would otherwise
use \(aq for quotes, then we *really do need* to address this issue.
Perhaps optionally allowing the `old' behaviour (if possible) would ease
some of the pain?

Personally, I would prefer that quotes render sensibly in utf8, html and
dvi, and that correctly written man pages do not need any modification.
Also, the use of `foo' is very convenient (even if it no longer appears
balanced in the source).

Cheers,
--
Stuart Brady