Re: [Groff] File Locking

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] File Locking
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:20:34 +0100

> However, I don't know what would happen if I used the text
> editor "Save" twice in quick succession. In other words what
> would happen if my text editor is amending the input file on
> the "second" occasion at the same time as groff is processing
> it as a result of the "first" save?

I'm not sure about your editor setup, but does your script run
in the background, then?  Perhaps if you could configure your
editor so that it waits until the script completes, then you
wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

(I do the same in vim, and I find it quite useful to see
the messages generated by the script.  Anyhow, updating the
display is the last step in the procedure, and normally I only
save-and-process when I want to see the formatted results, so
there's no penalty in running the script in the foreground.
Why would I want to continue hacking away at the keyboard
until I have reviewed the updated display?)